Friday, January 22, 2010

Everything But the Kitchen Sink

I have been MIA for a few weeks, sorry kids! But thanks all for the really nice comments on my Weightless interview! I'm really feeling the love.

Sorry that I have been stinking at blogging lately. I have been tossing around the idea of switching over to Wordpress for awhile now, because blogger just doesn't make blogging fun or easy. Its not an excuse for not blogging, but it has definitely affected my motivation to write lengthy posts. So that switch will probably happen soon. And possibly a whole new blog, too! But more on that in another post.

Currently, life is just super busy. Which is cool.
In personal news: I have committed to coaching 5 people through a program that I took myself last spring. It is amazing experience but a total time suck.
Its is also busy time with my work, which is actually nice because my days have been FLYING by.
I have literally been crashing into bed at night and falling right asleep. This basically never happens.

In health and fitness related news: I have decided to get my certification to be a personal trainer. I registered for a two day hands on workshop to take place in NYC later this month. In addition to that, I have books and study materials to prepare me for the exam (which I can take whenever I feel ready).
I would by lying if I said I had given the decision an extensive amount of thought because I thought about it for maybe 2 days. The decision was easy, really. I'm at the gym everyday (sometimes for several hours), and I love working out. The only piece that was missing for me was to make some money doing it. I went to my gym and spoke with the owner about the various programs, she gave me some advice and off I went. While it is not set in stone, I am about 96% sure I will be able to work at the gym I go to. So even if I have zero clients, I get a free gym membership which is TOTALLY worth it.

The reading has been really challenging. My degrees are in political science, theater and government administration. You will notice that none of those have anything to do with science.
I did take AP bio in high school but I fell asleep almost every day. While I read this book I think about AP bio a lot and how, if I had stayed awake, I probably would have done a LOT better on the AP exam. Turns out, this stuff is pretty interesting. Especially when I can apply to my diet and exercise routine. I am getting a much clearer picture of why my body behaves and reacts the way it does.

In other personal (and work) related news: I spent all of last week in Las Vegas for a work conference. I have never been to Vegas. I probably won't ever go back, but it was fun. Andrew flew out on Thursday and we spent the weekend wandering around. Here are some highlights:

Drinking beer on the astroturf in front of the Wynn (pretty much the only green you'll see in downtown Vegas):


















Lake Meade:


















The Hoover Dam:


















Can you tell I'm terrified of heights?


















We make a tradition of seeking out local brewpubs when we go places:
























Beer flight. The Blueberry Bock (top left) was AWESOME!
























Mmmmm beer!
























We found a program from the Bette Midler show. Naturally, I needed to include Bette in all of my photos that night.
























I bet this guy ends up on a lot of blogs.
























So, yeah, Vegas. A very shiny, dirty, lonely, depressing (and yet highly entertaining) place to visit.

We are also just shy of the three month mark for our wedding. I have so much left to do it makes my head spin. So I will probably put most of it off for another few weeks or so.
Also, the new (and final) season of LOST just started. I will spare you my theories for another post. But I think I know where it's going and I'm NOT psyched about it.

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, I ate french fries for dinner last night.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hahaha! Love the last line. I haven't posted for a long time because, basically, I've been living off of bacon and Bailey's for a couple months. I'm getting back on track now.

It is SO COOL you're going to be a physical trainer! Please update about the process. I considered taking classes for it a few years ago, but then my body was all, "No thanks, you can have two babies instead."

andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
andrew said...

Here's our Vegas friend again

And don't forget--those fries were chased down by hot wings. So healthy.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are great! Good luck with the trainer stuff. I studied through the ACE program but never ended up taking the final test. I LEARNED a ton though & it was all really useful for me.

Cute pictures : ) I was soooo last minute with my wedding planning too & everything turned out GREAT!